A former member of the Detroit Red Wings’ and New York Giants’ medical teams, Orthopedic Surgeon Dr. Robert Kohen specializes in a multitude of orthopedic surgeries here at UnaSource Surgery Center.
Dr. Kohen is board certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (ABOS) and holds additional certification in the sports medicine subspecialty. He earned his medical degree from the University of Michigan Medical School in Ann Arbor (Go Blue!), where he also completed his residency training. Following medical school, Dr. Kohen completed a sports medicine/shoulder service fellowship at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York.
His clinical interests include:
- Arthroscopic surgery of the knee and shoulder
- Ligament reconstruction
- Meniscal shoulder stabilization and labral repair
- Partial and total knee replacement
- Rotator cuff repair
- Ultrasound-guided injections
As a sports medicine specialist, Dr. Kohen has been an associate team orthopedic surgeon for the Detroit Red Wings. He also has been an assistant team physician for the New York Giants and the New York Liberty, and assistant event physician for the United States Open Tennis Tournament.
His publications include:
- Acute brachialis muscle rupture caused by closed elbow dislocation in a professional American football player.
- When Do Rotator Cuff Repairs Fail? Serial Ultrasound Examination After Arthroscopic Repair of Large and Massive Rotator Cuff Tears
- Single-bundle versus double-bundle posterior cruciate ligament reconstruction
- The use of locked plating in skeletally immature patients
His practice is based in Farmington Hills, Michigan, at 32255 Northwestern Highway, Suite 100, as well as 27483 Dequindre Road, Suite 306, in Madison Heights.