Dr. J. Michael Wiater, M.D., is an orthopedic surgeon at UnaSource Surgery Center in Troy, Michigan. He specializes in surgeries of the shoulder and elbow, as well as general occupational therapy.
As a professor of orthopedic surgery at the Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine, Dr. Wiater has helped nurture future surgeons. He also has been a vice chairman, residency program director, and shoulder and elbow surgery fellowship program director for the Beaumont Health Department of Orthopaedic Surgery.
Dr. Wiater is board certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery. He completed his orthopedic surgery residency at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, as well as a fellowship in shoulder and elbow surgery at Columbia University in New York.
He obtained his undergraduate degree from the University of Notre Dame and attended medical school at U of M Hospital, where he also completed an internship in general surgery.
Dr. Wiater has numerous professional affiliations, including:
- University of Notre Dame Orthopaedic Society
- Michigan Orthopaedic Society
- New York Orthopaedic Hospital Alumni Association
- Oakland County Medical Society
- Michigan State Medical Society
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Association
- American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons
- Visionary Research Society Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation
His practice is based at Michigan Orthopaedic Surgeons, 17877 W. 14 Mile Road in Beverly Hills, Michigan. Dr. Wiater performs orthopedic surgeries at UnaSource Surgery Center, located at 4550 Investment Drive in Troy, Michigan.